Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Year Round Greenhouse, How Practical?

On May 5, 1:57*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*Jeff wrote:
In a moderate climate (Oregon, about 100 miles from the coast), how
practical would it be to try to raise vegetables year-round in a
greenhouse?
- Jeff
www.reframer.com

Do you have full sun all day?

In OREGON???

Heh. I went to Oregon State, in Corvallis. Three of the 4 years I was
there, it on September 1st the temperature dropped to 50 degrees and
it started to rain. The temp never changed and the rain never stopped
until May 1st.

OK, an exaggeration, but not much of one. Now, Corvallis is about 50
miles from the coast, so it sounds like Jeff is somewhere in Cascade
Range. You can count on more snow up there than in the Willamette
Valley.

Jeff, it really depends exactly where you are. I knew people near
Salem who raised fuchsias year-round, and they probably are less hardy
than some vegetables. Also, it depends what you want to grow. I'd give
up on melons and cucumbers, but lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peas
might all do well.

Chris

--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-i...