Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Please help me save my Lemon tree

In article ,
dmdrabble wrote:

The tree is still indoors, but I intend to move it to my polytunnel in
the next 2 weeks, as soon as the danger of frost has past. I thought
that in its week state, if the temperature dropped too low, it would
kill it off.

Indoors it gets quite a lot of sun from mid day onwards and the
temperature in my flat is around 17 degrees C.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

I'd try to return the lemon tree to its natural conditions as much as
possible, e.g. warm days, cool nights, and as much sun as possible. I've
had a denuded orange (with its extremities dying off) bounce back
(snails). I'd move your tree to the poly tunnel with a light bulb,
perhaps, to keep the night time temp above freezing. In Florida, they
use sprinklers to coat trees with ice on freezing nights, so if you can
keep the temp above 0°C at night, you should be OK. Sunlight and temp
are what I worry about. Citrus wants at least 5 - 6 hr. of intense
sunlight. I don't grow plants inside, except for over wintering. The
humidity aspect came as a bit of a surprise. The average home has 15 -
20 % humidity, so you will need to make adjustments to meet the 30-60 %
humidity requirement. This may be easy to do. Either put your plants in
a very bright, well-lit bathroom where there already is more humidity,
or raise the humidity in another part of the house by grouping plants
together, using a humidifier or cool-mist vaporizer, or putting out a
few bowls of water that will evaporate and help raise the average
humidity around the plants. I presume that this problem would disappear,
if the lemon tree was outside.

Good luck, and don't forget to sterilize your clippers after pruning the
tree.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/