Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A fast climber that looks good all year round?

In article ,
echinosum wrote:
earcanal;919999 Wrote:

Clematis armandii

Even those will die in a harsh winter. My brother is near Warrington
and his died in the recent winter.

Mine have suffered, but they're pretty tough. But, as you say,
severe cold will kill them.

Basically, it is wishful thinking to expect something to grows fast to
6-8 foot and stops. You can either have something that grows slowly and
will eventually be around 6-8 feet. Or you can have something fast
growing and have to trim it every year.

Yes.

Abutilon megapotamicum is worth considering. Hardiest of the abutilons,
it is evergreen in a mild winter, will take a couple of years to get to
6-8 feet, and after that tends to thicken out rather than extend. But I
think mine was frozen to the ground in the last winter. I don't know
how it would be in a half-sunny aspect, I have mine on a south facing
fence.

Yes, but it's no hardier than C. armandii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.