Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default soil issues (long story)

On Fri, 6 May 2011 09:43:59 +0000, mudcow007
wrote:

thanks for the all the replies, for the retaining wall i plan to use
concrete fence base panels (probably two, one on top of each other) with
wooden fence panels on top.

the "pool soil" is a mixture of clay and sand really. when it dries its
grey. i have been trying to level the soil as much as i can and removing
rocks etc using rakes and spades....my arms are killing me now much to
the amusement of my girlfriend

i think its a pretty good idea regarding using this soil as a filler,
then nice fertile top soil on top. how deep should i be aiming for with
topsoil?

Depends what you plan to grow, for vegetables I'd shoot for 10", for a
lawn half that will work... for shrubs and trees you'll be digging
holes to the appropriate depth.

would i put the manure on top/ mix with the "pool soil" or when i get
the top soil?

First compost the manure, raw manure will harm/kill your plants, and
raw manure will be loaded with weed seeds... heat from composting will
cook the seeds. Then periodically spread as a light top dressing, the
nutrients will work down to the plant roots (gravity).