Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default soil issues (long story)

In article ,
mudcow007 wrote:

thanks for the all the replies, for the retaining wall i plan to use
concrete fence base panels (probably two, one on top of each other) with
wooden fence panels on top.

the "pool soil" is a mixture of clay and sand really. when it dries its
grey. i have been trying to level the soil as much as i can and removing
rocks etc using rakes and spades....my arms are killing me now much to
the amusement of my girlfriend

i think its a pretty good idea regarding using this soil as a filler,
then nice fertile top soil on top. how deep should i be aiming for with
topsoil?

would i put the manure on top/ mix with the "pool soil" or when i get
the top soil?

the soil that was originally in the garden (under the concrete) had
quite alot of clay in it.

The root zone is in the top 24". Tap roots will go deeper but are mainly
for water transport. Putting nutrients deeper is a waste of time and
money. I'll be stunned if you can buy top soil. World wide it has become
a precious substance. Usually what you buy comes from construction sites
and you get what you get.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/