Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree Fern problem

In article ,
says...

Bob Hobden;919661 Wrote:
Have you not got somewhere it could be planted out in the ground?

Given that so many of the treeferns in Britain have been killed over the
last winter, it does seem like putting them in the ground is now a bit
of a risk. I seem to remember you live somewhere that had temps below
-10, Bob, so you must have been very careful in protecting yours if you
kept them alive in the ground.

--
echinosum

I think gardeners in the uk are far too tidy (me included) and we tend to
remove the heavy skirt of old dead fronds these plants carry in the wild,
left on they protect the truck and with debris in the crown they will
happily survive our normal winters, mine loses all its fronds each winter
usually well before christmas, but even here in wet cornwall it has its
own drip irrigation line and I keep it very wet
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk