Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobharvey[_2_] bobharvey[_2_] is offline

Default Sandy soil and tree roots!

On May 7, 1:31*pm, Selisia wrote:
As I'm new to this site I'm hoping there are a lot of brilliant people
out there who can help me! Any suggestions as to what to grow to provide
all year interest in very sandy soil with very large tree roots in the
way?

Do you want a map showing a gold mine and the princesses' hand in
marriage too? Ignoring the "all year" thing, which is asking a bit
much of any plant:

Add some soil on top to give them something to root into, and try:
any of the Baneberry (Ataea?) - they will flower late in the year, but
have attractive foliage

Berberis × stenophylla (yellow flowers, purple berries, shrub unfussy
about soil), or other less showy berberis

any of the Weigela (will handle full shade and poor soil)

Any of the hedgerow wild plants: Crane's Bill, Lords & Ladies, wood
anemone, etc would put on a show at times.

These should all survive dry conditions, but would very much prefer it
if you waterered a bit.