Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Orchid questions

On Sat, 7 May 2011 18:46:49 +0100, Gopher wrote:

In message , Pam Moore
writes
I have an orchid (cymbidium) which has not flowered for at least 10
years, but is huge. I hardly ever feed and then it's orchid feed.
It is about to split its pot and needs dividing.
Questions;
1. Is now a good time to do it?
2. What sort of pot is recommended? clear plastic, dark plastic,
or terra cotta?
I've got orchid compost and may need to cut the rootball with a knife
as I think it's too congested to divide otherwise.
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Apologies for delayed reply to original poster. My friend has returned
from Spain and replies a follows:

QUOTE

Yes, this is a good time to re-pot.
Any pot is OK, matter of personal preference. The only advantage of a
clear pot is that you can see what's going on with the roots but they
look horrible.
No problem with cutting it up with a knife, bread knife or small saw is
fine. Take off all but one of the leafless back bulbs. Give it a general
tidy up and either pot the divisions up individually (if you want to
give some away) or fit them back together in one pot.
Cymbidiums need a temperature drop to induce flowering so leave it
outside in the autumn until just before the frost starts. Plenty of
water while in growth, feed with orchid feed every fourth watering.
If it still doesn't flower give it away, this will guarantee flower the
next year!

UNQUOTE

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks a lot Gopher. Please thank your friend.
I'll do the job the next time it's NOT raining!

Pam in Bristol