Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Orchid questions

On 07/05/2011 18:46, Gopher wrote:
In message , Pam Moore
writes
I have an orchid (cymbidium) which has not flowered for at least 10
years, but is huge. I hardly ever feed and then it's orchid feed.
It is about to split its pot and needs dividing.
Questions;
1. Is now a good time to do it?
2. What sort of pot is recommended? clear plastic, dark plastic,
or terra cotta?
I've got orchid compost and may need to cut the rootball with a knife
as I think it's too congested to divide otherwise.
TIA

If it still doesn't flower give it away, this will guarantee flower the
next year!

I love this bit. Never a truer word spoken!

It is worthwhile picking up healthy orchids post flowering in gardening
centres when they are significantly reduced if you have space to grow
them on. The least I ever paid for one they were about to throw out was
50p. Most will easily flower the following year with a bit of TLC.

Regards,
Martin Brown