Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Advice About a Possibly Mutant Acer Please

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 May 2011 22:15:04 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

A couple of years ago, I bought (from T&M) a dwarf, purple leafed acer
to go in a large ceramic pot.The phrase "atropurpureum dissectum"
springs to mind as part of the name. In year 1 I had some decent
purple leaf growth right up the stem. Last year, the lower stem was
bare but there was a good head of purple growth. This year, though, it
looks totally different. I've got a pic at http://tinyurl.com/5r7zt5v.

It's not a graft issue - there are stems/branches of the green leaves
emerging from the remaining main stem both below and above the purple
bit. Any "branches" not bearing green or purple leaf this year were
most certainly dead.

This is a new one for me and I'd be grateful for advice on whether I
should (a) chop out all the green growth and hope that the purple
develops a bit more next year- it's now about three feet above
"ground" rather than just above as it was orignally - or (b) forget
any chance of recovery and get a new one for the container (I'll find
somewhere to plant whatever this tree is rather than simply waste it).

Thanks

Jake

Are you _quite_sure_ it's not grafted? Assuming it's Acer palmatum
atropurpureum dissectum, the RHS handbook says that several varieties
of A. palmatum, particularly A. p. dissectum are often top-grafted.
From your picture it certainly looks like the stock has grown away and
is taking over.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

This is ours. Is that a graft?

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-FMWHTXM...-of-Other.html

Never had any trouble with it in the three years we have had it.

It did stand in its existing Garden Centre pot within the Blue pot until
this year when we re-potted it.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.