Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Year Round Greenhouse, How Practical?

In article
,
Chris wrote:

snip
Let's assume that visible light is the primary source of heat (it's
not, but let us let you play the fool).

I have no interest in taking your part ;O)
..
Western Oregon- where I lived

A beautiful place, and emerald green, but to much rain for my taste
north of Ashland. I enjoyed Eugene the last time I stopped there. The
town was awash in coffee houses. I hope it hasn't changed. The music on
the radio around Portland is great, but the further south you go, the
more Bible thumping I heard (on the radio). It all went away though,
when I crossed into California.

for years- receives almost no direct sunlight from September to May.
Kind of makes your whole point moot, no? Well, yes.

Now the real fact is that the main heat from the sun is in the form of
IR radiation (ask any photographer!) and IR is blocked by clouds, so
you wind up with a greenhouse that is not much warmer than outside
temps.

This is not rocket science. It is NOT visible light that warms a
greenhouse. It is IR. The covering of the greenhouse has little to do
with it, since neither glass not plastic blocks IR. If you have
constant cloud cover, you have little IR, thus little heating. Sure,
you get a little- but not a lot.

Please read for comprehension.

A greenhouse is a structure with different types of covering materials,
such as a glass or plastic roof and frequently glass or plastic walls;
it heats up because incoming VISIBLE (capitals mine) solar radiation
(for which the glass is transparent) from the sun is absorbed by plants,
soil, and other things inside the building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse

Got that? Visible, not infrared does the heating. It doesn't say
anything about direct or indirect, just visible. Got it?

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/dict_ei.html#infrared
Almost none of the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum can
reach the surface of the Earth, although some portions can be observed
by high-altitude aircraft (such as the Kuiper Observatory) or telescopes
on high mountaintops (such as the peak of Mauna Kea in Hawaii).
---

Even you should be able to get it.

If not, then your job, if you can stay on your bike long enough, is to
show a reference which states, or strongly implys, that greenhouses are
heated from solar infrared.

Chris

snip

"Last year, 43 people fell off their bicycles in Corvallis- and
drowned."
(Popular t-shirt at OSU)

Darwin at work.

snip
"Gardening adds years to your life and life to your years."
- Anon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug