Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Soooo much junk in a garden

On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:39:17 +0000, Owdboggy
wrote:

Mark Baigent;920362 Wrote:
Hiya

30 tons!!! blimey, our garden is 150ft long which is probably why the
far end had been misused for so long. Oh and it was hidden by shrubs so
easy to ignore.

Salmon paste.... yummy

Mark

The Concrete asbestos should be bagged (usually double bagged) and taken
to your nearest recycling yard. Not sure about all of them, but ours
here has a dedicated skip for such material.
The worst form of rubbish we have had to contend with is the batteries.
There were (still are) hundreds of them from pre-war accumulator types
to modern torch batteries. The heavy metals contained in them do not
bear thinking about. We had to put our Veg patch in the only part of the
garden where there were none.
When we dug the Lily pond I went down over a metre and still did not
find the original soil level. There was an old pushchair in it, upright
(sans enfant) to give you some idea of the depth.
There was no refuse collection here until quite recently so all rubbish
was burned and the residue buried in the garden. You can imagine how
much there is when you discover that the earliest house here was in the
early 1600's and then 1804 and finally ours from 1900. Oh and of course
the Army Field hospital from the First World War in the fields behind
us.

A pity it's such a superhumanly big job: a more manageable size would
make it a wonderful DIY Time Team. Sacha's bottles should encourage
you, though.

--
Mike.