Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default starting my CO2 DIY, any tips?

Hey guys...thanx to all your support I've finally ventured into the unknown
and will be starting my CO2 project. I've cut the end off my intake on my
Aquaclear filter intake pipe and put tubing through it. Then I have attached
a check valve on the tubing. Drank a 2 liter of diet grapefruit pop (yum!),
drilled a hole in the cap and attached the other end of the tubing with
silicon. Tommorow night when the silicon is cured I'm planning to start
brewing! I'm going to buy a carbonate hardness tester so I can use it with a
Ph tester to figure out C02 levels with a chart I gleaned from Chuck's
Aquarium pages http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm.

Currently I have 2 wpg, (PowerGlo & LifeGlo bulbs), a 15 gallon long tank, 2
corys, 3 otos, 1 beta, about 1.5 inch river gravel, some java fern, a little
dark green broad leaved bush plant I can't identify.

I've added some Ferreal+spureal for iron and trace elements. There's no
traceable nitrates in the aquarium however...and that slightly worries me--
should I add some KNO3? Feed the little tikes more so that they can poop
more ? .(I'm planning to get about 12-15 cardinals in the near future
that should help this issue a bit)

Any tips or suggestions so far? I'd love to hear from you

THANX!!
Dave.