Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Garden water measure

"Rob" wrote in message
I have just been Googling to find out how much water per day a tomato
plant needs.
Some gardening sites in the US stated, e.g. "1 inch of water per
week".
Whatever does this mean ? Over what area ?

Any ideas anyone ?

Whatever the area it is! A pot, 1 inch over the surface area of the pot. In
the ground, 1 inch over the 'sensible' area to feed the roots. I would say
an area of say 9 inches radius from the stem x 1 inch deep per week. For
your information, a cubic foot of water is either 9 ot 10 gallons, can't
quite remember.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.