Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Garden water measure

On May 8, 8:39*pm, Rob wrote:
I have just been Googling to find out how much water per day a tomato
plant needs.
Some gardening sites in the US stated, e.g. "1 inch of water per
week".
Whatever does this mean ? Over what area ?

Any ideas anyone ?

I'm afraid your question is like How long is a piece of string?
It depends on the size of the tomato plant, if it is growing in the
ground, a growbag or a pot, if it is being grown inside or out, and
many more factors.
When I was young we were taught that a 6ft tomato plant growing in the
soil inside a greenhouse with good ventilation on a sunny day could
use a gallon of water.
We used to grow around 2500 plants, and would pick Monday, Wednesday
and Friday, and would water Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Yes in those days we worked Saturdays till at least Midday or later if
we had to..