Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
E. Mito

Default Lead weights okay?

In article , "Doug David"
writes:

I'm new at live plants - will they do okay with lead weights loosely wrapped
around the bottom? What we planted - I don't recall the name - is a tall
plant with no "root ball" (for lack of a better term) and I could see it
easily floating up out of the fluorite without the lead weights attached.

You'll get a mixed response on this one -- people who use it do fine, people
who don't are worried that the lead might pose a problem to the aquatic life in
their tank(s). What you describe may be a stem plant; many stem plants are
often difficult to keep down at first, especially if you don't have a thick
enough substrate depth, but after a while most usually put out roots that
anchor them in the substrate on their own making uprooting more difficult. So
you'd probably be ok to use the weights if you really want to (like Bob, who
has no probs with them), or you can see if your plants will take root
sufficiently to anchor themselves without the lead.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm