Old 09-05-2011, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Overgrown runner beans

On Sun, 8 May 2011 22:49:42 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote

In a moment of mindlessness I started runner beans far too early. They
are now, of course, far too big, and can't be planted out till the end
of the month.

If I pinch out the tops, will the resulting side shoots develop into
tall twiners, or will the plants simply remain bushy?

Well seeing as a lot of the allotment holders on our site (the newer ones!)
have had their runners planted out for a couple of weeks why not give it a
go yourself. As a backup, in case of frost, plant some more now, some of the
older gardeners planted a few beans every few weeks to get a constant crop
over a long time and it worked.

Thanks to all. I'll go with belt and suspenders.

--
Mike.