Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Jim Miller

Default Lead weights okay?

You'll get varying opinions on whether the weight composition is a problem.
My problem with anything wrapped around the stems, even loosely is that it
causes the stems to rot.

I've now been doing the following with success: spread the stems out and
place them on the bottom and lay a piece of shale or slate over them. It
doesn't need to be very heavy since the increased surface area of the stems
laying on the surface against the rock is pretty high in frictional force.
This gives stems plenty of room to "breath" and minimizes the rot
possibility while they develop roots.

Lots easier than trying to keep a balloon in place by planting a string!

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Doug David" wrote in message
I'm new at live plants - will they do okay with lead weights loosely wrapped
around the bottom? What we planted - I don't recall the name - is a tall
plant with no "root ball" (for lack of a better term) and I could see it
easily floating up out of the fluorite without the lead weights attached.