Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ouch! Dangerous weed.

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Photosensitising by (giant) hogweed seems the most likely explanation.
It can be pretty nasty. And also once sensitised I think you are always
in for a rough ride with it in future.

No, No, NO!!!

I beg to disagree. I reckon one of hogweed or giant hogweed is about the
most likely at this time of year strimming in rough ground. I did a
quick lookup and it doesn't require any presensitisation the damage is
done by the combination of sunlight and furocoumarins in the sap.

That's all true, but it's NOT particularly likely to be giant hogweed,
or even ordinary hogweed. LOTS of plants will do it to the same
extent, and not everybody reacts to giant hogweed, anyway. Common

Enough people do and badly enough that it is classified as a noxious
weed requiring careful handling.

Oh, God :-( I remember when that happened, and how. It started
with media hysteria over giant hogweed, causing the politicians
to react irrationally, and then that spread to cow parsley.
It probably IS now recorded as responsible for the majority of
such reactions in the UK, because those that do such recording
have been brainwashed into thinking that it is the most likely
cause.

Those of us who lived in the relevant rural areas used to cut
masses down with a sickle and bare arms - and I did that even
with giant hogweed. The effect was rare, and usually associated
with some other plant. Yes, strimmers make the problem more
likely, but for ALL such plants.

It's just like the asbestos hysteria, which has had the primary
effect of creating a totally unnecessary industry of asbestos
removal, and has almost certainly not had a measurable effect
on health.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.