Old 09-05-2011, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Ouch! Dangerous weed.

wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Photosensitising by (giant) hogweed seems the most likely
explanation. It can be pretty nasty. And also once sensitised I
think you are always in for a rough ride with it in future.

No, No, NO!!!

That's all true, but it's NOT particularly likely to be giant hogweed,
or even ordinary hogweed. LOTS of plants will do it to the same
extent, and not everybody reacts to giant hogweed, anyway. Common
periwinkle and most spurge sap will both do it, for a start.

Yes, I was wondering about euphorbias as well.

Also I get a bit of a reaction to the masses of Herb Robert against which I
fight a valiant but victory-free battle. Itchy red spots on my hands if I
don't wear gloves.

Sometimes I don't wear gloves just to impress the birds with how hard I am,
you know.

Ian