Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Greenhouse plastic

On Mon, 09 May 2011 12:10:20 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've just wrapped a bunch of tomato cages with 3.5mil plastic sheeting
to create green tepees for my tomatoes. The sheeting is opaque not
clear because that's all that Home Depot had (it's sold in the paint
department not the garden department). Is there special greenhouse
plastic sheeting that would work significantly better or is the drop
cloth plastic good enough? I'm only going to be using the green tepees
until the end of May.

They allow for ventilation? You may want to put clear plastic on the
soil to warm it up as well.

The tepees are open at the top so it should be ventilated well enough. I'm
just trying to get an early start, the normal time to plant tomatoes
around here is the end of May, doing it at the start of May is a little
risky. I'll remove the tents in a couple of weeks when the weather becomes
more reliable.