Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Recommend a cheap grass-slashing tool?

On Sun, 8 May 2011 18:28:25 +0000, kay
wrote:

AL_n;920401 Wrote:
Janet wrote in
:
-
In article ,
says...-

I have a lot of long grass to cut down. Cannot afford a mechanical or
electric device, so I am looking for a manual tool. I woild get a
scythe, but they typically cost a lot. I do not want to do a lot of
bending (as one would say with a sickle) - so I am looking at other
kinds of grass slashers. Has anyone found one that they can
recommend? Can you provide a link?

Here is one I have seen : 'Grass Whip, Whip long grass into shape!
Garden Equipment' (
http://tinyurl.com/6bf8te7)

There are other designs too...

TIA!-

I would hire a big strimmer to clear the area, rake it off after,
then
keep the grass down with a cheap push-mower.

Janet
-

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I specifically want a hand tool, partly
because they are quiter, partly because they are less expensive in the
lonbg run, and partly because I just enjoy slashing grass manually.

Have you tried freecycle/freegle? You might be able to get a scythe if
someone is clearing out a garage.

Needs a bit of training, a fair sense of rhythm, and a lot of
practice, though: if a scythe's sharp enough to be much use, it's a
serious danger to the user's left ankle.

--
Mike.