Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default starting my CO2 DIY, any tips?

Did you cut the entire end off? You didn't leave enough space to allow
fish to get sucked in, did you? ;-)

Hehe, yeah I did actually. But the tip that I cut off is only the diameter
of tubing. And that tubing is snaked right into the hole and up about 1/2
ways into the intake pipe. No chance of anything getting into there.

I'd suggest adding some fast-growing plants, such as hygrophilia
polysperma or water sprite.

I'd love some. But our LFS suck down here. They have nothing. If someone
would be willing to give me plants or clippings I'd pay for shipping them
down !!

Where'd you get the dark green broad leaved bush plant? Keep in mind
that many LFS's will sell you terrestrial plants which may look good at
first, but will die after being submerged in your aquarium for a while.

No...it's grown about 6 new leaves in the last couple months that I had it.

If you can post a digital picture of the plant, I bet someone in this
newsgroup can identify it.

Check it out! The dark one with the broad leaves towards the bottom of the
picture http://www.okcomputerworks.com/Aquarium-02-DEC-2002.jpg

You may want to consider observing how your plants grow after adding
CO2, for a while. If it's satisfactory to you ... I personally wouldn't
bother with adding KNO3. Keep things simple. I can never measure
nitrates in my planted tank, I've never added any source of nitrate, and
my plants are doing fine (I trim they every 2 or 3 weeks).

Sounds fine to me. Well, we'll see how well they are going to do. I just
hooked up the concoction tonight...guess it takes a few hours to start...who
knows, I'll probably be up all night watching for the first bubbles eheehe

Dave.