Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge from just simple cuttings

On 10/05/2011 16:04, Emery Davis wrote:
On 05/10/2011 02:18 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
On 10/05/2011 12:03, john ryan wrote:
Someone wants to make a simple fast 'year-round' hedge screen (just about
two metres high or a bit less) and is wondering what would make some
kind of
hedge simply from sticking cuttings in the ground.

Was amazed some time ago when someone put some completely shaved of
bark and
chopped off, thin tree trunks in the ground as fence posts and after a
little while shoots appeared up and down them.

So i'm gussing some cuttings can 'more or less' just be stuck in the
ground
to produce a hedge screen. But what kind of plants should i take such
cuttings from? Thanks.

Pyracanthus works very well from cuttings stuffed in the ground. I've
made some free hedges with those. Another free hedge is to collect the
hips off some rosa rugossa and plant them in pots. After a year you'll
have some nice sized seedlings to make a hedge with. I've done that too.
Rosa rugossa makes a fantastic colourful and heavily scented hedge.
Interestingly by growing the rose hedge from seed the plants haven't
come true and there is a mixture of white flowers, deep pink flowers and
varying numbers of petals. Very attractive.

Interesting, I'll have to try that with the pyracanthas. Do you take
the cuttings in fall or winter?

I've got a nice big white Rosa rugosa that was started this way too.

Have also succeeded starting plants with Laburnum and common Poplar by
sticking cuttings in ground in winter.

-E

I take the pyracanthas cuttings in fall. The stems for cuttings need to
be a bit less than pencil thickness. They fail to root if the cuttings
are too thin or too thick. Keep them reasonably well watered so they
don't dry out in hot sun, but other than that the success rate is around
80 - 90%.
I take cuttings around 6 to 8 inches long and strip off all the lower
leaves and any berries and plant them deeply so only an inch is above
ground. I don't know how the "experts" do it, but that works well for me.

Haven't tried laburnum or poplar.

Someone once mentioned on here that rosa rugosa roots well from cuttings
in Autumn, but personally I think growing them from seed is more
interesting, plus you get the extra variety. I've always taken seeds
from the deep pink ones.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.