Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB[_10_] View Post
I would like to have worms around here so when I go fishing, I don't have to
drive a far distance and buy them. I googled, and they say to lay a
refrigerator on its side and use that for a home. Fill it with good dirt
they describe. Keep it in a cool shady place and keep moist. How hard is
it to just get some going in the garden and dig some up when one needs them?
Or is it better to have a fridge thing and have a good habitat for them?
Just how hard are they to get going and keep going?

Steve
Hi Steve, Answering as an angler, my first question has to be, what are you aiming to catch ? As a salmon angler the best worms are the black headed lobworms. For most types of coarse fish, redworms are best and try to avoid those 'brandlings' found in manure, they dont catch much !
For the lobworms, all you need is a torch, a damp night, a bit of stealth
and a playing field. Go out after dark on a damp evening and youll find loads, its not easy as any vibration will send them shooting back into thier burrows at a rate of knots but eventually you will get the hang of it. Bring them home and store them in a mixture of humus rich soil, mixed with shredded dampened newspaper, keep them cool and moist and they will toughen up as well, much better for fishing. For the redworms, place hessian sacks on the
ground and very soon youll have worms underneath.
One tip from experience, during the summer of 1976, I spent the whole of that very dry season collecting every worm I could find and even though I was a landscape gardener, it was so dry, they were scarce. It finally rained and I had planned a trip to my local river for seatrout, I asked my wife to go through the 'wormery' and gather together my precious worms. To my horror, she proudly announced that he had washed them for me (using fairy liquid) and there in my bait box lay my valuable worms, very clean but also very dead and totally useless Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lannerman