Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bind Weed, Help!

On 10/05/2011 16:42, harry wrote:
On May 10, 2:41 pm,
wrote:
Herb plot . Fortunately plants well spaced with bind weed between and
kept clear of smothering herbs. What is best final treatment.
thanks

Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good& strong.

That is a total waste of the active ingredient. Quick kill of the top
growth is *not* what you want for a pernicious weed like this.

For off label use to kill bindweed you want glyphosate about half normal
strength so that the stuff has plenty of time to translocate into the
extensive root system. I generally hit bindweed and ground elder with
any weedkiller that I happen to be using. Frequent treatment is the key
to preventing it laying down storage tubers/rhizomes.

Expect to have to hit it several times in a season for elimination. It
helps if you can physically dig up some of the roots a few weeks after
each treatment. Bits that break off are less likely to regrow if they
have taken a hit of Roundup. Basically you aim to never let its leaves
see sunlight without being zapped with something for a whole season.

Regards,
Martin Brown