Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Hedge from just simple cuttings

"john ryan" wrote in message
Someone wants to make a simple fast 'year-round' hedge screen (just about
two metres high or a bit less) and is wondering what would make some kind
of hedge simply from sticking cuttings in the ground.

Was amazed some time ago when someone put some completely shaved of bark
and chopped off, thin tree trunks in the ground as fence posts and after a
little while shoots appeared up and down them.

So i'm gussing some cuttings can 'more or less' just be stuck in the
ground to produce a hedge screen. But what kind of plants should i take
such cuttings from? Thanks.

I have been sticking Laurel cuttings in the ground and several have taken.
All I have done is picked likely looking bits when I have cut the existing
Laurel hedge and poked them in.

If a little more care was taken with the time of year, preparation of the
ground, and preparation of the cutting a lot more would probably survive.

Mike