Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Harry D Harry D is offline

Default Suffolk punch 35dl exhaust

"Samseal" wrote in message ...

Hi all,
Finally managed to get my hands on an old Suffolk punch and am slowly
trying to bring it back to life.
Unfortunately the exhaust system was totally wrecked and had rusted
itself firmly to the port. After trying all the normal methods of
freeing it (wd40, long wrenches, heat, etc etc) I've come to the
conclusion that the only way will be to drill it out and re-tap the
hole.
Does anyone know the specs for the thread on the exhaust? I've a feeling
it's BSP but would love to have that confirmed.
Thanks and regards,
Sam

--
Samseal

Hi Sam,
I would say it is certainly a BSP thread.
Tricky job drilling it out probably best to try and drill as large as you
can without actually touching the original thread any more than necessary
and hope you can collapse the pipe wall and remove. Then hopefully you will
then be able to clean up the threads with a tap. Sorry if I'm teaching
granny to suck eggs but I've been there or thereabouts on many occasions and
thank the lord retired now!

Harry