Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Plumb Tree Desecration!

On May 10, 1:35*pm, Darren Wingham darren@realpeoplephotography-DOT-
co-dot-uk wrote:
Hello,

I have very limited gardening experience.....

We moved into this property which had a large, well tended garden, by a
retired couple.

It had this lovely Plumb Tree which produced a huge harvest each year.
However, I had not pruned it for 3 years and branches had grown too
large and the plumbs were threatening to bring them down.

I decided to prune it back last Autumn, however, I think I may have been
too harsh. Now it has many of sprouts from the branches and, not
surprisingly, has produced little fruit. I am told that it has been
"shocked" and is furiously growing branches. I am now afraid to take off
the sprouting shoots in case it makes the situation worse!

Question is, how do I bring this under control to a manageable sized
tree that will produce fruit once again?

Many thanks!

Darren.

--
Darren Wingham

Depending how you pruned the "plumbs" (aka plums). You needed to
prune the OLD wood, not the new. If you really want action out of
this "plumb" tree in future, look up correct pruning technique on the
Web, and learn to recognize what should come and out what shouldn't.
Even better: Spring for a professional to come in and rectify the
situation, and have him/her teach you proper technique in the process.
Would be $ well spent.

HB