Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Bind Weed, Help!

"echinosum" wrote

harry;920817 Wrote:
Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good & strong.

My neighbour uses plastic drinks bottles with the bottom cut out, push
the plant up through the neck, and then spray into the body of the
bottle. As said elsewhere, there is a good argument for thinking that
over-dilute is a better idea than strong. Since bindweed tends to be
rather shiny and water does not adhere well to it, a bit of washing-up
liquid in the mix helps.

As others have said, another idea that works is winding it round and putting
it in a plastic bag with some glyphosate, tying up the bag and giving it a
good shake as often as possible, but be careful not to break the plants
shoots, you want the chemical to get down to the roots.
There is also a paste type one on the market with it's own brush you use to
paint the glyphosate on the leaves, tried it and it works. However the paste
becomes normal watery glyphosate after some months.
We have a lot of bindweed coming onto our plot from a neighbour who won't
use chemicals but does use a rotovator, so I'm letting it grow at the moment
up the rabbit fence between us and will soon be out with my sprayer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden