Old 12-05-2011, 01:22 AM posted to triangle.gardens
?[_4_] ?[_4_] is offline

Default How are your Gardens?

On Tue, 10 May 2011 03:09:41 -0700 (PDT) in mj wrote:

Weeds, ugh! I tried P***n. Don't waste your money. I spend about an
hour a day pulling out some kind of grass from hell. From what you
said I am thinking two things. I am south and east of the triangle and
put my plants in the first ten days of April. All had been started
indoors in pod things. Maybe that was too soon. Then there is always
the fact that I look at them too often so nothing ever seems to
change. Patience is not my strong suit but it is good to know that I
am probably just expecting too much too soon.

P***n is just 2,4-D, and I've only seen it sold as the amine in granular form
for outrageous prices. It's only a broadleaf herbicide (Won't kill
grasses). It's okay for broadleaf control in a lawn if you can
spread it when everything is still wet from a recent rain or a heavy
dew. However, some broadleaf weeds are resistant (clover), and others
have leaves that are too small for the granules to stick. Not worth using
unless you have broadleaf weeds in grasses you want to keep.
A few years back I bought a gallon of the most concentrated 2,4-D ester
I could find at tractor supply company and mix up a gallon's worth of it
diluted for application before I mow, and spot spray as I mow.

I also mix it with glyphosate when spraying any batch of weeds the includes
glyphosate resistant pigweed, or something tough like black berries
or poison ivy.

As for your tough grassy weed, are the leaves hollow to the tip, or
proper blades at the tip?
If it's hollow you have nutsedge and you're probably SOL. *IF* you're patient
find a glyphosate based brushkiller in the stores and use that to
calculate how much you need to dilute the 44% glyphosate. Now get a plastic
scouring pad or a scrubber sponge and a bit of hand dish washing detergent.
Add a bit of hand dish washing detergent to the diluted glyphosate solution
and scrub it into the sedge. Repeat every 10 days.
Works on wild garlic/onions as well.