Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!!

In article ,
Ig.Gardener wrote:

Another issue with spraying the yard is that I live on ten acres and the
dogs go everywhere. The creek I mentioned is at the very edge. Will the
Malathion & Diazinon make my little one sick like the Advantix? Let me
add that although she has no health issues and is still energetic, she
is about 16 years old and is starting to slow down. She's my old lady.
^_^ If it won't then that sounds wonderful! One dip and done.

Possibly done for good. Please do not use these compounds directly on
your pet. I have treated many dozens of pets for organophosphate
toxicity and, unfortunately, wasn't able to save them all. Applying
diazinon to an elderly dog could very well kill it from overt
neurological toxicity. These poisons are hard on the liver, kidneys,
lungs and endocrine system. Some dogs develop acute pancreatitis
following exposure to organophosphates. As others have suggested, these
compounds wreak havoc on the environment and many are quite persistent.

Please consult with a good veterinarian in your vicinity. Try to obtain
some Frontline spray. Continue to use the topical monthly, but also use
the spray once a month during tick season, staggered two weeks. Inspect
your dogs feet and ears, etc., daily. Use a few pumps of the Frontline
spray on any areas were young ticks are attracted to your dog as often
as you need to prevent their attachment.

Again - consult your veterinarian. If you don't think their advice is
working, find another one based on local recommendation. Too many pets
suffer at the hands of well-intentioned owners willing to take the
advice of laypersons who, though also rarely having nothing but the best
intentions, have simply been lucky not to have killed their own pet with
their enthusiastic advice.