Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Good canning tomato??

Sue wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:29:59 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Find a local green house nursery instead of the big box warehouse places.
Nurseries will have healthier and a greater selection of plants.

Chuckle. We have no local green house. The closest possible would be
35 miles from here. Since I have no pressing need to go out of town
in the next few days (my only reason is for doctor's appts) the cost
would be pretty awful considering the price of gas right now.

You must be living in the city. I live in the country were their are lots
of green houses and nurseries. I love the nurseries where thousands of
plants of many kinds surround you. The colors and the numerous sweet earthy
smells... Better than going to a movie.

Tomatoes for canning are divided into two categories, "Plum" and "Globe".
Plums tomatoes are great for sauces they have a higher pulp to juice ratio.
Plums also have Plum shape to them, tends to be long and tapered at the
ends. Globes are more rounded and good for general canning and for soups.
Romas "plum" tomatoes are good for sauces and Big Boys "globe" tomatoes are
good for Juices and Soups.

One problem I had last year was that I didn't have enough tomatoes at
any given time to can. I'm thinking maybe my error was in getting two
different varieties (2 plants each). I don't know. They just weren't
successful.
Sue

I will subdivide tomatoes once again. Their are two kinds of tomatoes
plants, "Determinate" and "InDeterminate". Determinate tomatoes ripen on
the vine all at once which are great for canning. Determinate tomatoes have
a single stalk that grows upwards, Romas and Beefsteaks are determinate.
Indeterminate tomato plants provide fruits throughout the season, never
enough for canning. Indeterminate tomato plants are bush like with no main
stalk. Examples of indeterminate tomato plants are "Early Girl" and
"Cherry". You will not get enough to even think about canning.

Indeterminate tomatoes use those ring like tomato supports. Determinate
tomatoes plants tend to use ladder supports. I would think for canning
small amounts, six plants at least would be a minimum. Around Three pounds
of tomatoes for each quart of whole canned tomatoes. I will be growing
close to forty tomato plants for canning this fall for me myself and I.