Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Good canning tomato??

Sue wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:41:17 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Nad R wrote:
Sue wrote:
Sorry. I should have been more specific. No, I grow for stewed
tomatoes - tomatoes with onion, celery and bell peppers.
Sue

I could not let myself pass that one up. If you are canning with peppers
and and onions I hope you are using a pressure canner. Using a water bath
canning with peppers can be very very bad news. For the note a pressure
canner is not the same as a pressure cooker. Something like in the link.

I've always used water bath with the peppers and onions. So far, so
good. I've used recipes that allow water bath with these veggies. I'm
terrified of pressure canning.
Sue

I am terrified of botulism. New pressure canners have safety features.
Count yourself lucky so far. The link is just one of many. For veggies I
prefer pickling or freezing otherwise the pressure canner is the only way
to go. I use the pressure canner for all veggies including tomato products.
Tomatoes can go either way Water Bath or Pressure. The only time I use the
water bath is for Fruit jellies.

Once you learn how to use your pressure canner. One can make different
kinds of soups and I can the extra with my small four quart pressure
canner. Great for stocks also. One can get good at it, by the time I eat
dinner and clean up, the extra is canned good for the year.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canningpeppers.htm