Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Hydrangea devoured

"Ellis Morgan" wrote

Bob Hobden writes
"Ellis Morgan" wrote ...

A hydrangea in a low maintenance part of the garden had its leaves
eaten by a bug last year. By the time we noticed the leaves were
completely gone. Not knowing how the plant would react we did not do
much to it over the winter.

Leaves reappeared patchily this year and now the bug is back. I have
cut up and burnt the affected parts and visit regular to squash bugs
they appear.

Lots of questions:
What is it?
Should I abandon my usual reluctance to use pesticide?
If so which pesticide?
Is it likely to spread to other plants?

There are some pictures he
http://www.mrtlfrm.demon.co.uk/garden/

Possibly one of the Capsid Bugs but not one I've come across myself...
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...d=484#section1
Under the circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to use a pesticide, as for
which, is there any choice left, see above.
Needs to be sprayed ASAP to save the plant and stop whatever they are
spreading elsewhere.

Thanks Bob,
The pesticide reference is very helpful.

I am not sure if they are capsid bugs. Capsids seem to do the damage as
adults, while what I have are larvae. I can't find anything about capsid
larvae.

Googling around has led me to noctuidae larvae, but none I saw is a good
match for what is on my plant. I have moved the close up larva picture to
the top of my garden web page.

They seem to crawl up the plant until they get to the topmost leaf and
attack that. That is why there are so many clustered on the top of the
branch I lopped off.

The numbers do seem to be reducing under my regular squashing visits and
there is no sign of them on any other plant. The nearest are winter
jasmine and choisia.

If you are a RHS member (or if a friend is) you could send your photo links
to them and ask them what it is...
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help...visory-Service

--
Regards