Old 12-05-2011, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herbs and pot size

On 5/12/11 12:50 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
All my herbs got wiped out last winter. So I am starting fresh.

At the moment I am wondering how many rosemary seedlings I can grow in a 17
inch pot. They don't spread out much but they have extended root systems.
Would 3 seedlings do well in a 17 inch pot?

Paul

They should do okay as long as you carefully monitor soil moisture.
Rosemary likes generally dry conditions, rotting with too much water;
but completely dry soil will likely cause the seedlings to die. The
rosemary bush in front of my house receives winter rains and perhaps 2-3
hose waterings from late spring until the rains start in early winter.
However, I suspect some roots have spread out under my neighbor's lawn,
which is watered several times a week through the summer; in that case
they are definitely under my roses, which get drip irrigation every
other day.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean