Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 PM posted to triangle.gardens
WesD WesD is offline

Default How are your Gardens?

On May 10, 6:09*am, mj wrote:
On May 9, 9:06*pm, "Daniel B. Martin"

wrote:
On 05/09/2011 10:43 AM, mj wrote:

Mine seems to be getting a very slow start.

We started tomatoes and eggplants from seed, grew them indoors under
artificial light, and transplanted them into the garden. * Most of the
tomatoes are flourishing but the eggplants are struggling.

Sugar snap peas were started from seed weeks ago. * Three feet high,
healthy, lots of blossoms, expect the first harvest any day now.

Sweet pepper seedlings were bought from Logan's in Raleigh, transplanted
a few days ago. * All look happy in their new home.

Planted cucumber seeds today.

As usual, the weeds are growing more vigorously than any edible crop.

Daniel B. Martin

Weeds, ugh! I tried Preen. Don't waste your money. I spend about an
hour a day pulling out some kind of grass from hell. From what you
said I am thinking two things. I am south and east of the triangle and
put my plants in the first ten days of April. All had been started
indoors in pod things. Maybe that was too soon. Then there is always
the fact that I look at them too often so nothing ever seems to
change. Patience is not my strong suit but it is good to know that I
am probably just expecting too much too soon.

What kind of Preen did you use? Some is just 2-4D, but Preen weed
preventer is a pre-emergent granular form.
2-4D will NOT kill grass.

Your must read your labels to be sure the product will kill what you
want killed. 2-4D is for killing broadleaf weeds in lawns which is
why it will not kill most grasses (centipede it will kill).

You need a grass killer there are some that will not kill broadleaf
plants, but I don't remember which one.

For grass, Roundup Glyphosate) is preferred. It kills just about
anything though thanks to roundup ready corn and cotton some weeds are
now resistant to it. What I like about roundup is if I accidentally
spray the wrong plant, it can be washed off. I keep a sprinkler can
nearby for that purpose. It only kills by being absorbed by the
leaves and then trans-locates to the roots. You don't want to spray
it if rain is expected. It needs to stay on the plant at least two
hours prior to rain.

It sounds like you have either nutgrass or some kind of spreading
lariope(monkeygrass). You can kill it also but it may need repeat
applications. I keep a hand sprayer of diluted roundup (2-6 ounces
per gallon for 41%) and adjust the sprayer to stream. That way if you
find nutgrass in your regular lawn you can spray straight down the
leaves and let the roundup hit soak in the base and roots. It may
leave a small brown spot, but the nut grass will be killed and the
desired grass will generally fill in quickly. Test just a few
initially to see if it works for you. Roundup can take up to two
weeks to kill. You should see yellowing within a week.

Remember when using any kind of herbicide RTFL - Read The oFficial
Label.!!!!!!!!

If you buy from a garden center you will get dilutions in ounces per
gallon. If you purchase it from Tractor Supply or AGRISUPPLY you may
have to do some math cause it will speak of dilutions based on acres.
Somewhere it will tell you ratios like a pint per 5, 10, or 100
gallons and you have to know a pint is 16 ounces, a quart is 32 and a
gallon is 128 and divide accordingly.

I do not recommend planting before the last week in April at the
earliest for a summer garden.
I did not plant my summer garden until May 2. The green beens, black
eyed peas and okra are doing well I soaked the seed 30-45 minutes
before planting and I think that helped get a good germination.

I did not do this for cukes and have none germinated 10 days later.
Squash are starting to come up, but I may have to replant some hills.
I did not soak either of these. I will the next time.

Just planted Tomato plants, pepper, eggplants this week and they look
well. I mulch them with hardwood mulch to keep the rain from
splashing dirt on the leaves which transmits the nasty diseases these
plants can get.

My potatoes, sugar peas, beets, spinach and chard were planted in late
Feb. Potatoes took forever to sprout. Some in the bag were rotted.
I should have taken them back to Lowes for a better batch. I check
the bag the next time before I leave the store. Sugar snap peas are
doing well. Spinach is about gone due to early heat. Swiss Chard is
producing well and is heat tolerant. Beets are looking really well
after thinning and pulling more dirt up at the base..