Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post
Don't know much about cacti, but I have a quite a good little book, so
here's some guesswork:
Probably not a Mammillaria as it has no 'mammilla'.
Definitely not a Mammillaria - their tubercules are arranged in spirals. And deep in my memory something says the key field character for Mammillaria is that the flowers come from between the tubercules whereas in everything else they com from on them.

Quote:

Echinocactus flowers are generally yellow or pink, and deeply embedded
in the 'wool', top centre, so probably not that.
Possibly an Echinoceras but their flowers are usually large, yellow or
pink.
Echinocactus flowers tend to be smaller relative to the plant. Wrong body shape for Echinocereus

Quote:

Possibly a Parodia.
Possibly a Notocactus (the RHS encyclo includes Notocactus in
Parodia).
Don't think it's a Rebutia, as they seem to have 'mammilla' a bit like
Mammillaria.
Not a Parodia that I recognise, though Parodia/Noto is the area I'd be looking at if it isn't a Lobivia/Echinopsis. Definitely not Rebutia.

If one of the other cactophiles hasn't appeared by tomorrow, I'll have a go at keying it out.