Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Unknown Cactus.

"kay" wrote

Bob Hobden Wrote:
Had this Cactus for about 40 years, given to me by an elderly lady who
said
she could not get it to flower. The original large plant flowered a
couple
of years ago whilst we were away (Sod's law!!) but now the offshoot is
flowering. Anyone with knowledge of cacti know what this is?

'Unknown Cactus - a set on Flickr' (http://tinyurl.com/3db3d4n)

It's not one of the genera I grow. It would help to have a sideways-on
view of the flower - are the sepals hairy or smooth? Or do they have
prickles?

My first guess would be Lobivia/Echinopsis (which are now in the same
genus)

But my main reason for replying is to congratulate you and the previous
owner, 'cos it's in beautiful condition!

Well thank you Kay, the offshoot I took off the large original plant when
repotting very many years ago. Basically they sit on the top shelf in our
greenhouse very close to the twin walled plastic roof and gets watered by
hose and occasionally fed in the summer and totally ignored in the winter. I
think the winter totally dry must do it good.

Having looked at the genus as much as I can I too think it must be a Lobivia
(syn. Echinopsis) but which one? Of those I've seen pictures of I've cut it
down to L. aguilarii; L. bruchii; L. formosa; or L tieguliana.

If the flower is still OK tomorrow I'll try to get a shot from the side
showing the flower stalk and perhaps a close up of the spines which are not
as long as a lot of Lobivia.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden