Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Unknown Cactus.

"Chris Hogg" wrote...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

Had this Cactus for about 40 years, given to me by an elderly lady who
said
she could not get it to flower. The original large plant flowered a
couple
of years ago whilst we were away (Sod's law!!) but now the offshoot is
flowering. Anyone with knowledge of cacti know what this is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...57626703667192

Don't know much about cacti, but I have a quite a good little book, so
here's some guesswork:
Probably not a Mammillaria as it has no 'mammilla'.
Echinocactus flowers are generally yellow or pink, and deeply embedded
in the 'wool', top centre, so probably not that.
Possibly an Echinoceras but their flowers are usually large, yellow or
pink.
Possibly a Parodia.
Possibly a Notocactus (the RHS encyclo includes Notocactus in
Parodia).
Don't think it's a Rebutia, as they seem to have 'mammilla' a bit like
Mammillaria.
Very possibly a Lobivia. I think these are quite common and popular.
(Lobivias are named after Bolivia, would you believe!)
Echinopsis have long flowers on 'tubes' so probably not that.
Loads of other types ruled out on shape etc.

My best guess would be Lobivia formosa, but could also be L. jajoiana
or L. haematantha or L. pentlandii or L. cinnabarina. I wouldn't know
how to distinguish one from the other.

Or it could be a hybrid, of which there are lots AIUI, especially
between Trichocerus, Echinopsis and Lobivia.

I too am coming round to thinking it's a Lobivia, considering it's age is a
hybrid still a possibility?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden