Old 13-05-2011, 08:41 AM
ZeroZero ZeroZero is offline
Registered User

Default Newbie advice please

Just designing my first pond. My plan is to build a largish pond using the Atlantis Pacific rigid pond liner 1400. From the research I have done there seems to be three types of pond which I could call Koi, Goldfish, and Natural.

If i have this correct.

I want my pond to be natural as possible - my aim is to blend it in with the environment rather than to have anything formal or filled with ornamentation.

I am looking to attract frogs (I love the spring frog parties) newts, dragonflies etc.
I also would like to keep fish. It seems that Koi are out because they would eat all the wildlife eggs and are generally 'playful vandals' - an expression I have heard. Goldfish similarly apparently eat frog spawn I thnk?

I think that if newts do come then they will spend most of their time buried at the bottom. Do we actually get to see them?

I am looking for fish that can be seen and are reasonably attractive to the eye.

I have an idea that might work and that is to have two ponds, one tiny one for bringing on tadpoles and the like and directly next to this the larger pond with goldfish etc.

I would be grateful if the forum could give me any advice.