Old 14-05-2011, 02:57 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle[_1_] View Post
Prowling about the foodstuffs on the net, I found that one of the
hogweeds, /Heracleum persicum/, provides a spice in Iranian cooking.
Quite a contrast with the hogweeds we've seen discussed here; and
anything good enough for Iranian cuisine is worth investigation. It
doesn't seem to be mentioned in Claudia Roden's /Middle Eastern
Cooking/. More at
Heracleum persicum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
where it's said to have been found in one area of Sweden, though not
included in Collins' /Wild Flowers of Br and N Europe/. I suppose that
was probably a deliberate or accidental introduction.
H lanatum - NW America - roots, flowers, young stems eaten as a vegetable
H persicum - Iran - seeds used locally as condiment in pickles
H sphonodylium - Europe, Asia, N America - boiled leaves and fruits fermented to make a drink (Bartsch) esp in C Europe, used in France to make liqueurs
H wallichii - Sikkim, Nepal roots used locally as tonic and aphrodisiac

Usher, A Dictionary of Plants used by Man