Old 15-05-2011, 02:52 PM
kathateria's Avatar
kathateria kathateria is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by islaygardener View Post
Thank you for your speedy reply.

I've just measured it - 50cm / 19 " deep.

Good idea about moving them inside in those conditions - possibly in the shed in a large (cleaned out) plastic cattle feed bin.But then would have to artificially oxygenate that ? Would be a problem as there is no electricity out there and I don't want to install any either.

Maybe install a pond heater to be activated during a harsh spell - that would keep the filter etc from freezing, yes ?
Get some oxygenators (plants). I reckon it would be easier and cheaper to bring them in, change the water every few days, 50% at a time. heaters for out doors would be expensive to run in such extreme temperatures too.
Good plants are hippuris vulgaris,and water milfoil. Just build up an edge,put some gravel in,and plant the hippuris,and the milfoil will root itself,just throw it in. Have you got any other plants in there? Plants will do the work for you.