Old 15-05-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Rain, what rain?

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2011 11:22:25 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On May 15, 6:20 pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:03:59 +0100, Pam Moore

wrote:
They forecast "scattered showers" for us every day last week.
There were none.
It rained here last evening; a few drops on my window but not enough
to show on the paving.
I just want t good deluge - at night please!

Pam in Bristol

Sorry, there's just too much in this post to digest. I can work out
"showers", even "scattered" at a push but I'm not sure what a "deluge"
is. Then you say "rained". I think the correct spelling is "reigned"
but is it proper to refer to Her Maj as an "it"? Anyway, the Court
Circular makes no mention of her being in Bristol recently.

I am wondering if you are referring to "precipitation" but I don't
even remember what that is properly. It's just a big word I read
somewhere. I recall it was preceded by "lack of".

As to "drops on your window" do you mean something like the little
bits of water that hit the window when I'm using the sprinkler on a
patch of newly seeded lawn?

Jake (in central South Wales)

I notice Jake that you don't tell Pam of the rain we have had here in
South Wales over the last week or so, in all just over an inch, though
we missed a cloudburst last Thursday by about half a mile. I had just
left home for a meeting at the Welsh National Botanic Gardens
http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/ when I was hit by torential rain
viusibility was down to about 200 yds, 2 miles on it had become light
rain , and a mile further on the motorway was dry.

Eh! What rain is that? I've had a couple of short sharp showers for
maybe a minute or so. I actually blogged one day last week that I
could look up to a bright sky but if I looked towards your end of
Swansea Bay it looked dark and very dismal. Not the first time that
you and I, despite being probably less than 15 miles apart as the crow
flies, have experienced different weather.

I have a couple of examples I use of weather differences over a close area.
Years ago I was in a play or Directing a play, forgot which, 9 miles away at
the Apollo Theatre in Newport. My car is at the bottom of our garden which
goes through to the next road. I got wet running down the garden to the car.
Got to Newport, as I say about 9 miles away, and dry pavements and people
walking about in shirt sleeves.

But the other was even closer. Someone at Arreton painting their windows.
Chucking it down at Apse Heath, 2 miles away.

I was Directing a play at the Apollo last night and thought I would go on my
motor bike :-(( Too risky with clouds about :-(

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.