Old 15-05-2011, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve[_5_] Steve[_5_] is offline

Default Eating Japanese Knotweed

Jake wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:08:07 +0100, Steve wrote:

Jake wrote:

On 14 May 2011 18:54:34 GMT, wrote:

Lol wrote:
Anything tastes good if you use _enough_ sugar
even rhubarb!

Rhubarb is lovely!

So's the cat who has adopted us but I won't eat him ;-)).

I've never been a rhubarb fan and the trouble is that unless the
dreaded knotweed comes up in my garden, I can't experience its taste
as nipping up the road to cut some and bring it back to cook would be
illegal.

Would it? I knew it was illegal to deliberately plant it, but
harvest it to eat?

All parts of the plant and also any soil contaminated with its
rhizomes are classed as controlled waste so (in theory at least) you
deal with it on-site or you either get it removed from the source
site by a licensed waste carrier or, if you remove it yourself, you
must take it to a waste site which is licensed to receive it (and from
which you then get a certificate of receipt). Usually the receiving
site requires advance warning that you are coming with Knotweed.

So you can eat what's in your own garden but cannot yourself remove it
from someone else's land unless you also happen to be a licensed
carrier.

Ah, right. Thanks for the clarification.

Local authorities where Knotweed is a real problem seem to have a
sixth sense and turn up to check within days of anything being done to
a stand. My neighbour farmer used to phone up a couple of days before
he was cutting his clumps down to save them the trip. He cut them by
hand and then had a bonfire.