Old 16-05-2011, 10:31 AM
islaygardener islaygardener is offline
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"kathateria" wrote ..

islaygardener;921479 Wrote:
Thank you for your speedy reply.

I've just measured it - 50cm / 19 " deep.

Good idea about moving them inside in those conditions - possibly in the
shed in a large (cleaned out) plastic cattle feed bin.But then would
have to artificially oxygenate that ? Would be a problem as there is no
electricity out there and I don't want to install any either.

Maybe install a pond heater to be activated during a harsh spell - that
would keep the filter etc from freezing, yes ?

Get some oxygenators (plants). I reckon it would be easier and cheaper
to bring them in, change the water every few days, 50% at a time.
heaters for out doors would be expensive to run in such extreme
temperatures too.
Good plants are hippuris vulgaris,and wa ter milfoil. Just build up an
edge,put some gravel in,and plant the hippuris,and the milfoil will root
itself,just throw it in. Have you got any other plants in there? Plants
will do the work for you.

NOT in the winter they won't, indeed plants die back and their debris rots
in the winter which will only add to your problems. Too many "oxygenating"
plants in a pond if often the cause of the total wipeout of fish over night
especially during hot sultry nights. They make oxygen during the day but
breath like us at night breathing in oxygen and pumping out carbon dioxide.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden