Old 16-05-2011, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default half barrel pond advice please

"islaygardener" wrote

Thanks so much, everyone, for your really helpful replies. I must admit
it never occured to me that the sides of the barrel would freeze as
well- doh ! but of course they would ! Well - I think the new plan so
far is to stick with goldfish, move them inside in icy
conditions,replacing water as suggested. I'll forget the heater, I think
but I would like some sort of water filter / oxygenator for the fish and
also for water clarity - I have plants in there but it's still murky.
Can anyone recommend some kit please ? And are water oxygenators /
filters totally different things ? ( I did explain I am a complete
novice ...)

I was a novice once, when I was about 5. :-)
I would suggest an undergravel filter as used in tropical fish tanks run by
an air pump, that way you get the gas exchange and biological filtration.
Two for the price of one. You can site the pump in a shed or somewhere with
an electrical supply that will mask the sound the pump makes (they all do
despite what shops say!), as, for biological filtration, it needs to run
24/7. You can then use a run of clear plastic airline tubing to the barrel.
You need an Air Pump, an Air Stone, an undergravel filter to fit the bottom
of the barrel, some gravel to go over the top of the filter and a length of
plastic airline. All obtainable from your local Tropical Fish emporium.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden