Old 16-05-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Anyone willing to donate some turf?

On 16/05/2011 13:18, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:17:48 +0100, JakeNospam@invalid wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:58:06 +0200, wrote:

Delft Freecycle is seen as an online begging bowl. I emailed the woman
who asked for a kettle BBQ asking if she would like it with steaks,
burgers sausages and salad. I think she posted it as a joke. She asked
me how I felt about the person asking for a working laptop. I said
that that one had left me speechless.
OTOH Sheffield Freecycle seems to have far more offers than
requesters. Giving stuff away seems to be a full time occupation for
some members.

The Bridgend group here is very active. I Freecycle anything that I no
longer need but which is in usable condition. It can sometimes be fun
reading (and often decoding text speak which, unfortunately, I didn't
study at school as it hadn't been invented then) reponses to an offer
but at other times there's genuine hardship involved. I remember
offering an old lounge suite in "dark blue". One reply asked me what
colour dark blue it was. Another said simply "ill hft".

It's surprising what gets offered and accepted - recently we've had
"three cans of dog food", "a few empty roses tins" and "a lot of mud",
the last after someone dug a hole for a garden pond!

Some "wants" are equally silly I suppose. I see today that someone
wants a "3seater red and cream leather sofa in very good conditin no
marks or rips on it."

That's just the sort of thing on offer in Sheffield.

Having got rid of some stuff on recycle I have gone quite off it. The
people have, a number of times up are driving expensive cars, those are
the ones that do not even say "Thank you" I wish there was a way of
filtering the applicants!