Old 17-05-2011, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Warwick Warwick is offline

Default Anyone willing to donate some turf?

On 2011-05-16 11:27:14 +0100, Warwick
said:

On 2011-05-15 23:39:37 +0100, Martin said:

On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:09:33 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Grass must be greening up nicely at this time of year.

http://www.mygardenproject.co.uk/data.php

Tinme he joined Delft Freecycle, where in the last few weeks there
have been requests for

- complete furnishings for an empty flat PLUS clothes and trainers
sizes provided.
- a working laptop
- a kettle BBQ

I've seen requests for cars and boats.

All this strikes me as the most incredible cheek except in cases of
real *need*, as opposed merely to "I want".

I was hit by a car at the weekend so my bike's back wheel was trashed.
I asked not for a bike, but for a wheel/rim/scrapper bike to fix mine
with. I had an offer the same day of most of a hybrid so I'll have all
the parts I need to do my repairs.

That was the first time I ever posted a wanted but I've also received
quite a bit of stuff over the years and given quite a lot away.

Warwick

Exactly. That sounds to me as if it's in the original spirit of the
whole thing. I think finding a part to fix an existing piece of
machinery is one thing, asking for things right from scratch, with
details of what's acceptable - or not - really isn't, imo. That's just
trying to get something for nothing & trading on others' generosity.

Yup. My request specified that I didn't care if it was rusting or a bit
wonky... I'm willing and able to remedy that. I was even willing to
rebuild a rim onto my hub.

As it turns out, someone very generously gave me 80% of a hybrid bike. It
had been used for spares, but between mine and his, I have an entire road
bike with some bits left over. Sod's law of course dictated that the back
wheel was rusting and lots of time will be spent with wire wool. The
front rim is fine though so I may build that on to my own back hub.

Going to get it was very definitely in the spirit of Freecycle. I managed
to scavenge the bits needed to get my old mountain bike roadworthy,
hooked on the bike trailer I got from freecycle and rode the twelve miles
there. A bit of work with bungee cords and a spanner was followed by the
12 mile ride back.

I am of course slightly knackered as a mountain bike is not anything like
ideal for long road trips... it is a real mountain bike and not one of
those things that look like them that Halfords sells for £99. The top
gear gets you to about 10mph and the tyres are fantastic for gripping in
mud and slow you down something chronic on tarmac.

Add in to that that towing a trailer is... odd.

Must stop waffling.

Warwick