Old 17-05-2011, 11:51 AM
islaygardener islaygardener is offline
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Once the ice on our pond started to melt and came clear of the sides, I looked to see how thick it was - at that stage it was still about 12 inches thick. So a half barrel would probably have been frozen solid. But Islay is a lot warmer in winter than Yorkshire, so I don't know.
I think you are right, Kay and my barrel froze solid.We've had ice and snow here at Christmas for the past 3 years - before that, it generally snowed just a little in Jan/ Feb or sometimes, not at all. Poor fish ! I'll bring the new ones in next winter to the shed and sea how it goes. Islay is a lot warmer than Yorkshire but even the biggest sea loch partially froze over last year and we all expect the same sort of weather again. On a plus side, the broom and gorse have had magnificent shows of blooms since this change - maybe they like the cold snap, and we quite enjoy the unusual dryness and quiet at what is normally a windswept rainy winter, so it has it's plus points.